Monday, August 1, 2011

Judgement and believers

Since the Casey Anthony verdict I have been trying to come to grips with the fact that, if 1 day Casey accepts Jesus as her Lord and Savior/surrendering her life completely over to HIM, ask forgiveness, she will be spending ETERNITY in heaven with me. Not sure how I was feeling about this whole "thing". Come on, a murdering, lying, & stealing person gets the same access to our Heavenly Father when she is called home or upon HIS return-REALLY???? ABSOLUTELY YES!! Wow, huh?

Then I started thinking about final judgement. Hmm, final judgement? Does that mean she doesn't answer for her sins? The bible says "as far as the East is from the West so are your sins forgiven. So where does the judgement come in to play? In writing to Christians Paul says, "we shall all stand before the judgement seat of God. Each of us will give account of himself to God" (Romans 14:10, 12) Paul also tells the Corinthians , "For we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad" (2Corinthians 5:10)

Final judgement either means Eternal life with our Heavenly Father or Eternal separation (eternity without our Heavenly Father)

The judgement I mentioned in the 2nd paragraph is talking about a judgement to evaluate and bestow various degrees of reward in Heaven. Should I fear this kind of judgement as a believer? It is not eternal condemnation. Will all my secret words and deeds, and all my sins, also be revealed on that last day? It seems that is likely, because in writing to believers about the day of judgement he says that when the Lord comes he will "bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of my heart. Then every man will receive his commendation from God" (1Corinthians 4:5; compare Col 3:25). This should definitely provide a motive for Godly living. It should right now have me examine my heart throughout my day and question the motives of my heart.. Am I doing such and such to benefit and further Gods Kingdom or am I doing it to benefit me? God already knows my heart and intentions, I can't hide anything from HIM-the one who created me, knows every thought before its even in my own head, knows the number of hairs on my head, so yes, surely HE knows the motives of my heart. Even my sins made public on that day will be made public as sins that have been FORGIVEN. My sins are covered by HIS blood, mercy and grace, they are forgiven indeed. HE has wiped me clean. It will only be the motives of my heart, my day to day thoughts and actions that are and are not honoring or glorifying to GOD that will be judged. Thats where the rewards in Heaven I mentioned earlier come into place. And no, it is not like here on earth. We must guard against misunderstandinghere: Even though there will be degrees of reward in heaven, the joy of each person will be full and complete for eternity. Status or someone who has been highly rewarded is no more happier than I will be. So it is completely different than here on earth where our happiness depends on what we possess or the status or power that we have.

What this has taught me is that I will have to answer to GOD for my daily living, good and bad. But in knowing and understanding this I will try and make it my aim to please HIM in all I do. (1Corinthains 5:9-10)
Serving HIM with praise and thanksgiving,
Valarie

2 comments:

Cassie - Homeschooling Four said...

great reminder Val!

Largaespada Family said...

I think it's the motive of the heart and the hidden thoughts that are our ugliest. I pray the same, that I aim to paise and glorify my Father in EVERYTHING, EVERY THOUGHT, and EVERY MOTIVE! Thanks Val for this post.

Also, you are very right, we are not any more worthy of eternity than the vilest offenders who choose Jesus, confess and believe (another great reminder)! We should pray for those who walk in darkness instead of condemning them.

Love you!
Jaime