Monday, January 5, 2009

My personal goal-Faith in 2009

Matthew 5:5-6
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

I've been thinking alot about what the year 2009 will be like for me; personally, my marriage, my children, my parents, ministry, and my job. I am a planner, I work best with schedules and I like to know ahead of time what's happening. (which is one reason I struggle with my job, I don't know from week to week what days I'm working) I know HIS ways are not my ways and that He is in control of all things. I want so desperately to glorify GOD in all areas of my life. Whether it is as a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, or co-worker. Then why am I a little hesitant about 2009? I don't know what this year is going to bring and it scares me a bit.

I have a daughter graduating from high school in May, a son turning 21 in May, layoffs looming at Costco, Dans parents renewing their wedding vows in July (50th anniversary, Dan and I are in the wedding) my mom's terminal illness, my dads health and being a full time caregiver, and 2 grandmothers in their 90's.
With all that said, I was going through some drawers a few days ago and came across notes from one of Pastor Jons messages from last year. The title at the top of the page read PRAYER OF FAITH. Here is what I was reminded of as I looked over my notes and read the scriture from Matthew 5:5-6 (it's at the beginning of my blog)

Definition of MEEK (vs 5)-absence from pretension, generally suggests gentleness and the self control it entails.
Definition of RIGHTEOUSNESS (vs 6)-Gods goodness, HIS prescence in any and every circumstance.

#1) I was to list an area of "unholiness", injustice, or conflict. I listed my mom's terminal illness, my dad, and conflict with extended family
#2) Envision the coming of God's Kingdom and HIS character to this area of "unholiness", injustice, or conflict. I envisioned healing, restoration, peace, calm, forgiveness, confession, patience and love.
#3) As a member of God's Kingdom, in faith pray as to my response and/or actions.
My actions-I wrote, to be an encouragement, hurt-communicate whether it's good or bad, love them right where they are at, be a positive influence, and have a godly attitude.
My response-KINGDOM centeredness vs self centeredness, experience vs perspective (how I act and behave) Take the journey-commulative and progressive effect (the beatitudes) and finally spiritual and social application.
The journey toward meekness-POOR IN SPIRIT, MOURNING, MEEKNESS.

Being the loving, caring, all knowing GOD that HE is, HE graciuosly let me stumble across my old notes in order to help me trust and have faith in HIM for this coming year, whatever it may bring. I pray I will bring GODS character to any and every situation that might arise for 2009 and try not to miss the sunset! I will close this writing with the PRAYER OF FAITH

BREATHE IN ME, HOLY SPIRIT, THAT I MAY THINK WHAT IS HOLY.
MOVE ME, HOLY SPIRIT, THAT I MAY DO WHAT IS HOLY.
ATTRACT ME, HOLY SPIRIT, THAT I MAY LOVE WHAT IS HOLY.
STRENGTHEN ME, HOLY SPIRIT, THAT I MAY GUARD WHAT IS HOLY.
GUARD ME, HOLY SPIRIT, THAT I MAY KEEP WHAT IS HOLY.
AMEN!

1 comment:

Brandi said...

I think that was my favorite series still. What a sweet God we serve to bring you to that section of notes to speak to you today! I love it. . .

I LOVE that prayer of faith. What a great reminder. Lord, move us and change us.