Well, to say these last couple weeks haven't been exhausting, trying, or emotional would be a lie.
It started Sept. 28th-my dad went to the dermatologist for a spot on his neck that he's had for a couple years. Yep-you heard right, a couple years! It started hurting him a few months ago and that's when I told him he had to get in to see a Dr. Well, the biopsy came back and he has squamish cell cancer. It is cancer, and it is curable. The problem is that it is pretty big, so that means all day at the surgeons. His appointment is Oct. 22nd.
That evening around 10:45 my aunt called to say they were taking my grandma to the Er from the nursing home with a possible pulminay embolism. I stayed with my mom while my dad met my aunt at the ER. He got home around 2:15am. I was waiting for him to come out of my moms bedroom to ask how my grandma was and he wasn't coming out. I went back to see what was going on and half way down the hallway I could smell what had happened. My mom had made a mess all over her, the bathroom and her bed. (I won't go into detail) So I scrubbed my mom down as my dad cleaned the bathroom and bed. We were back in bed at 3am and I had to get up at 6am to head into work for 7!
Sept 30th-I'm at work and I get a phone call-it's my dad crying, He tells me your mom is hurt. They don't sleep in the same room anymore because my mom wanders through the night and my dad needs his sleep to be able to care for her. He said he thought it unusual that her door was still closed at 8am so he opened it to check on her and found her on the ground moaning with her left arm broken beind her back. So he called Mary her hospice nurse who came over and decided it best to transport her through evac.
Dan picked me up at work and we met them at the ER in Deland. I thought after all this time of accepting and knowing my mom has a terminal illness and will one day be called home by her Savior, I would be ready for that. Let me tell you-I cried like a baby seeing her laying helpless and crying in the ER. She broke her humeris at the top (right below her shoulder) Not sure when she took her fall or how long she laid there before my dad found her. She has a 3 month recovery time and is suppose to wear a sling with her arm wrapped in a swath so she doesn't move it. That of course isn't working. She has high anxiety and won't leave it on.
My grandma was discharged from the hospital on Oct. 2nd just to be readmitted on Oct. 9th for severe dehydration, Urinary tract infection, and thrush. Before she was taken back to the ER on Oct 7th I visited her at the nursing home and had a wonderful visit. We cried, laughed and I was able to pray outloud for her. We talked a little about Jesus and I was able to share HIS love for her.
Dan and I went to visit her Sunday afternoon and Dan shared some more about how much Jesus loves her and about forgiveness. She actually repeated as Dan prayed out loud. We went back up yesterday afternoon and met my mom and dad there. We prayed again with her before we left. She is not doing well. You can barely understand what she says and her breathing is very labored. Not sure if she will be able to pull out of it this time.
When all this was going on I still had 2 days of ladies retreat at our church, bible study, a wedding, a babyshower,,,and GOD got me through it all.
One of the most beautiful things GOD showed me during this time was through my husband and grandmother. I saw him rub her back with lotion, rub her arms with lotion, hold her hand, pray with her and tell her that when GOD wakes him up at night thinking about her that he immediately prays for her. It was a very tender moment that I don't get to see often. I see God working in Dans life, my dads life and most of all in my life. As difficult as life has been these last few weeks, even the past few years with my moms illness- I wouldn't trade them for anything. He is doing amazing things through it all. So do I trust what I believe??? WITHOUT A DOUBT! GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME. AND ALL THE TIME GOD IS GOOD!!! Thank you sweet Jesus for these opportunites that draw me closer to you!
Family Staycation
10 years ago
2 comments:
love this!
what true and vulnerable words val. thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment