Monday, September 22, 2008

Caring for my mom

My mom is sick with dementia. Three years ago they said it was Alzheimers. The diagnosis has been changed to Picks Disease this past April by the 4th Neurologist we have taken her too. I wish there was a book out that instructed you on how to deal with watching someone you love so much go from being your wonderful, beautiful mom to a two year old who at times is not sure what my name is. It is very difficult to watch as my mom looses pieces of herself. I have learned to mourn these little deaths instead of getting angry at them. I am learning to cherish those "moments" that God blesses me with as I get glimpes of my mom back every now and then! They are few and far between, but oh how it touches my heart when she is mom again...
I get upset when I allow myself to get frustrated at her when she doesn't do what I want her to do, or when I have to eat my meals cold because after a few bites on her own she stops eating and I have to feed her so she will eat. It reveals my heart and it makes me sad at how selfish I am. I make it about me instead of serving and loving my mom. How can I in one sense say it's an honor and a privliage to care for her and in turn get so upset at her???? I pray that as GOD reveals my selfishness I will one day be able to do this weekly trip to my parents house with joy each and every time instead of the whoa is me attitude!
Valarie

2 comments:

Julie said...

Praying for you sweet Valarie! I know this is so hard for you! I didn't know you were blogging... so glad I found you!
Julie :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I found your blog, I see a whole different side to you and I now know how to pray for you. Thank you for sharing yourself. How is the baby squirrel? Ingrid